Tuesday, August 06, 2013

The Politics of Relationships

V
So I ran across a photo album of a girl I knew at college
She got fat

me
oh?

V
Yeah
Got fat
Well, I think I know why, too
My theory is that... 

me
that she ate too much?


V
Well...


me 
well?

V
I think that she has just aged
It's the comfortable life Going out, eating, drinking
She works a technical job
I think she's ABC
It seems like ABCs waste their youthful advantage here 
There's something about this ABC lifestyle that I can't put my finger on I mean, I go out and eat a lot
But there's something about the way they do it that I can't distinguish
I don't really go out to eat as a performance
I think you know what I mean, though I think this girl definitely lives this kind of life
I am tempted to say that her life is one of comfort absent ambition
But this tells me some very important things

me
and these are?

V
Advantages of youth are short-lived
There are disadvantages to a life of comfort and indulgence
And the politics of relationships are transient

me
politics of relationships?

V
Well, this girl was very good-looking
And I recall all of my friends noting this
She had some dumpy boyfriends in college, and we couldn't quite figure out why, and I think there was some jealousy
She's dating a dumpy guy now, but now it makes sense
All these thoughts you have in your mind about there being some market or metric for who dates who It's nonsense

V
Well, it turns out that that hot girl from college probably won't be that great 5 years on