Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Two Gilbertos

Jun 24

5:55 PM
basti: Bebel Gilberto is pretty good.
I haven't listened to her stuff in a while.
But there is some nice vocalisation here.

me: you mean Astrud?

basti: No, Bebel
Astrud has much less polished vocalisation than Bebel.

me: yes, but it is intentional
English is not Astrud's native tongue

5:57 PM
basti:
I think that she just didn't undergo the same degree of formal training.
The result, of course, is spectacular.
But even in Portuguese, her vocalisation is less polished.

me: and you get all these terrible anime song tracks try to imitate her (Astrud's) style (a la "Fly Me to the Moon" of Evangelion horridness)

basti: Japanese pop music often has too much polish.
It is too formalised.
It lacks texture and genuineness.

But ‘Tanto Tempo’ and ‘Aganjú’ are very beautiful songs.
(‘Tanto Tempo’ benefits from the contribution of Amon Tobin.)