Thursday, January 10, 2008

Lost in Beijing



For the first half of the movie I couldn't decide whether it was a comedy or a tragedy. Especially the scene with Elaine Jin and Tong Dawei, those pairs of shades are just hilarious.

They really miscast Tony Leung Ka Fai for his role. Maybe because I associate him more with his role in Election, but the only way I saw he could be hurt is going fishing with Simon Yam. And here his "everything is OK la" personality just reinforce the invulnerability that ties to his years of wuxia and triad movie making. Invulnerable personality = bad for tragedy dramas.

Saw the uncut version of the film. And I have to say that unlike Tang Wei, Fan Bingbing got let down by a bad script. Not to say Fan Bingbing doesn't look pretty, but I liked Zeng Meihuizi (her name sounds so Japanese, wouldn't be surprised if she is). Her role wasn't big, but it was more believable.